- Written by Nancy Roach
Following are descriptions for six hot technology and design jobs in 2013, along with their anticipated average starting salaries in 2013*:
- Mobile applications developers -- As companies strive to reach consumers on smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices, they need professionals who can develop for the small screen. Average starting salaries for mobile applications developers are expected to rise 9 percent, with compensation ranging from $92,750 to$133,500.
- Business intelligence analysts -- These individuals assist firms in making critical business decisions by gathering and analyzing data to better target marketing efforts. Business intelligence analysts should see a gain of 7.3 percent, with starting salaries ranging from$94,250 to $132,500.
- Network architects -- These individuals provide the backbone of a company's communication infrastructure. They assess business and applications requirements for corporate data and voice networks, making it possible for data to be shared. Network architects are forecast to receive a 7 percent starting salary boost, to between$102,250 and $146,500, on average.
- Interactive creative directors -- As companies of all sizes add interactive roles, they seek professionals with superb leadership skills and digital expertise to manage these growing teams. Interactive creative directors can anticipate a 4.9 percent bump in base compensation, with average starting salaries ranging from$95,500 to $160,000.
- Interaction designers -- The best interaction designers step into the shoes of a company's customers and maximize their online experiences. These professionals understand the connections between people and products. Those with one to five years of experience should see a gain of 4.9 percent, to between $52,250and $77,500.
- User experience (UX) designers -- Since so much customer interaction happens online, companies are looking for workers who can create positive digital experiences. UX designers can expect a4.8 percent salary increase, with starting compensation of $73,750to $110,500.
*All salaries listed are U.S. national averages based on data published in the2013 Salary Guides from Robert Half Technology and The Creative Group. Actual salary ranges may vary depending on location.